I used to have a running top 5 series but I kind of fell out of it because it was so irregular, so I decided I could try to make it a weekly feature instead, trying to post it every Friday! This week, since a lot of blogs I follow do the whole “feminist friday” thing, I thought I could dedicate a post to the women that I listen to pretty much every day, in no really particular order.
- Sia – Sia has been with me since some time before Chandelier was released (I think I first heard her singing in David Guetta’s “Titanium”. I love everything she has ever released, and I think her “1000 Forms of fear” is one of my favorite albums of all time. I have never been able to find a live performance of one of my favorite songs, but I’ll share the original here.
- Meg Myers – I’m not quite sure how I discovered her, it might have been through the “Deep, Dark Indie” playlist on spotify (which is my absolute favorite btw) but I’m so glad I found her! Her music videos are so unique and I love her style of singing. She wrote on her instagram that she finds it funny that her songs are rather heavy and rock inspired, but she only listens to classical and world music herself. It just shows how diverse people can be. I had a hard time choosing just one song, this one is a bit raunchy, but also visually great.
- Neon Hitch – Many years ago, one of my gay, male friends sent me a link saying like “hey this girl is such a hot redhead, I think you’d like her!” I was really skeptical at first because his music taste is way different from mine, but i was very pleasantly surprised! My interested kind of faded over the years but recently I rediscovered her and listened to her new album and I’m in love again. Her album is really well put together and I don’t think I dislike a single song. Her voice is really unique too!
- Ruelle – This is another artist I must have discovered on the “Deep, Dark Indie” playlist. She has a lot of heavier, rock-ish songs and I truly enjoy them all. She is labelled as an electro-pop singer but I can’t say I have listened to any electro-pop from her yet.
- Baron Bane – This is not a solo singer, but it’s a swedish alternative band fronted by a woman. I also discovered them on the spotify playlist sometime last year when they released their newest album and I instantly fell in love. I’m really hoping they’ll release new songs this year too.
So that was my list! Do you have any female singers in your life that you adore?